Intuit has significantly upgraded QuickBooks features with its 2019 update, but errors in the application are still uncertain and confusing. As you probably know, QuickBooks is known to throw quirky errors that most of the times do not make a lot of sense to novice QuickBooks users. While opening the company file from the No Company Open windows, you may receive an error message “QuickBooks Can’t Find your Company File”. Now being a Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor Firm, it’s our responsibility to guide you rectify the company file not found QuickBooks error. In this article, you will find a detailed description of the error along with the troubleshooting instructions, so follow the entire article until the end.
Need Help Resolving Company File Not Found QuickBooks Error! Call QuickBooks Desktop Support Number (844)-888-4666 for Immediate Assistance
Why QuickBooks Show Error Code: Company File Not Found
If you are getting an error message “Warning did you move your company file? QuickBooks can’t find your company file. Error Code: Company file not found” then this indicates that for some reasons QuickBooks is unable to create a connection with the company file. The error message also provides info on resolving the error and displays “If you moved your QuickBooks Company file recently, you’ll need to point QuickBooks to the location. You can do this by searching for your company file using ‘Find’ in the start menu.” You might also receive a different variation of the error message that displays “Warning: The company file you selected could not be found.”
Following are the reasons that prompt QuickBooks to show the company file is missing error:
1. The path to the QuickBooks company file is changed as the file is moved to a different location on the computer.
2. The file has been deleted accidentally from the local or network storage.
3. Network connectivity issues when using QuickBooks in Multi-user mode.
4. Selecting the wrong option to open a particular file type.
The Solution to Resolve QuickBooks Company File is Missing Error
Before following the troubleshooting steps make sure to Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest released version. If you have mistakenly deleted the company file and you are a user of Intuit Data Protect, then you can download a copy of your QuickBooks Company file from your online storage.
Solution 1: (For Multi-User Mode) Verify Network Connectivity
1. Press Windows + R on your keyboard and type CMD.
2. Click OK and type ipconfig/all.
3. Press Enter and note down the Server Names.
4. Now type Ping and the name of your server and hit the Enter key.
5. If you get any packet loss, then this indicates that there are issues with your network connection and you must use QuickBooks File Doctor to resolve network connectivity issues.
Solution 2: Locate the QuickBooks Company File
If you are accessing the file over a network, then follow the steps on the server that stores the company file and if the file is located on the local computer then perform the steps on the same computer.
1. Depending on the type of file search for the file type by using the Windows search feature. 2. Click the Windows Start button and type the extension of the file, followed by an Asterisk sign (*) in the Search Programs and Files search box.
• Search *.qby for Accountants Change file type
• For Accountants Copy file type *.qba
• To search for the Backup files enter *.qbb
• For Accountants Transfer files type *.qba
• Type *.qbw to search for QuickBooks company file
3. When you find the desired file right-click the file and select Open File Location.
4. Now open the file from the correct location to remove the QuickBooks file is missing error message.
Solution 3: Choose the Correct option to open a Specific File Type
To open a Backup File
a. Click Open or Restore Company under the File tab and select Restore a Backup File.
b. Click Next and browse the QuickBooks backup file with .qbb extension.
c. Choose the company file and click Next.
To Open the Company File
a. Click Open or Restore Company from under the File menu.
b. Click Open a Company File and then hit Next.
c. Browse the company file with .qbw extension and then select Open.
To Open an Accountants Copy Transfer File
a. Select Open or Restore a Company from the File tab.
b. Select the option to Convert an Accountant’s Copy Transfer File and then hit Next.
c. Click Next on the What the Accountant’s Copy Can and Can’t Do window.
d. Select the correct file with .qbx extension and then click Open.
e. Now save the file on your computer by selecting Save.
NOTE: In case if the company file is permanently deleted and you do not have any backup of the company file to restore, then you can use QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool to restore your lost QuickBooks Company File.
Following the steps mentioned above, you can easily find the QuickBooks company file saved on your Windows computer. If you still can’t find the company file then make sure to change the settings to Show Hidden Files on Windows. For any other error, you receive or in case if you are unable to find the company file and still getting company file not found QuickBooks error you can get direct help from our Certified QuickBooks Desktop experts by dialing QuickBooks Support Number (844)-888-4666.